Monday, February 6, 2012

Homemade Pita Chips

Once upon a time, Sam's Club sold a pita chip- in a huge bag, of course. I could not get enough of those chips. They were crispy, salty, and just a hint of garlic. Sadly, I have not seen the same chips on sale for about two years, and it has made me all sad and mopey.

Luckily, I ran across this recipe in an old issue of Family Fun in my doctor's office. I scribbled down the instructions and just cooked up a batch today. They are quite similar to the chips of yore, and pair really well with my favorite Cool Cucumber Dip.


You'll need:
6 pitas
1/3 c. olive oil
garlic salt
pepper
dried herbs (oregano or basil)

Preheat the oven to 400. Slice the pitas in half, and peel the sides off each other, so you'll have four half-circles. Cut into chip-sized pieces and arrange on a baking tray. Brush with olive oil, sprinkle garlic salt, pepper, and oregano on top. Bake for about 6-7 minutes until golden brown. Rotate the pan in the middle if you can remember it. 
Cool in pan on wire rack. Store in a Ziploc for a couple weeks. 

No comments: