Thursday, February 26, 2009
1/2 pound ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce, divided
1 cup cooked rice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. Place peppers in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place in ice water; invert on paper towels.
In a small skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1 cup tomato sauce, rice, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Spoon into peppers.
Place in an ungreased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Drizzle with remaining tomato sauce. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until peppers are tender.
Note: Obviously this is for two people, but you can easily double the recipe!
Friday, February 20, 2009
6 large eggs
1 tea. cinnamon
3/4 tea. vanilla extract
12 slices sourdough french bread (1/4 - 1" thick)
6 large bananas
whipped cream (canned)
1. Whisk together milk, eggs, cinnamon and vanilla until light and frothy.
2. Dip slices of bread in egg mixture and place on greased baking pan. Pour the mixture that is left after dipping the bread, over the slices on the pan.
3. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
4. In the morning, place butter in skillet. Place slices of bread in skillet and brown on each side until crispy.
5. Slice the bananas and place on top of each slice of french toast, then garnish with whipped cream.
Saturday, February 14, 2009
- 6 Tbs butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F. Place cupcake liners into 8 muffin cups and set aside. In a medium bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
2. In the medium bowl, whisk melted butter, sour cream, egg, and vanilla until well blended. Add butter–sour cream mixture to flour mixture and blend. Stir in maple syrup and walnuts.
3. Divide evenly into cups and bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm out of the oven, or make the night before.
Friday, February 13, 2009
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. In a medium bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Beat in the milk, oil, and sugar. Stir in the zucchini until well blended. Add the flour mixture to batter a little at a time and stir to mix -- it should be a little lumpy. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Sprinkle each muffin with 1/4 teaspoon sugar.4. Bake for 20 minutes or until the muffin tops are golden brown and spring back when you touch them. Remove from tins and cool on a rack.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
- 1 lb. box penne or ziti
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 lb. low-fat ricotta
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar
- 1 cup grated parmesan, divided in half
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/8 cup chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, warm olive oil in heated pan. Add green onions and saute. Add spinach and wilt down. Set aside.
2. Combine eggs, first three cheeses, 1/2 cup parmesan, and dill. Mix thoroughly. Add spinach mixture. Fold in cooked pasta. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Coat 9" x 13" pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread pasta mixture in pan. Stir remaining 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, and parsley together and sprinkle over pasta-cheese mixture. Bake for 30 minutes.none
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
A fun little drink for your Valentine's day bash:
Vanilla ice cream
A maraschino cherry on top