Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Another Carrot Muffin

Just when I didn't think I could find another carrot muffin recipe that I liked, I found this one.


These are sans glaze because I forgot to pick up cream cheese at the store. YET AGAIN. I'm quite displeased with myself.


Muffins

1 1/2 c whole wheat flour (or just regular ol' flour if that's what you have around)
3/4 c sugar
1/2 tea salt
2 tea baking powder
1 tea ground cinnamon
1/4 tea ground ginger
1/4 tea ground cloves
1/4 tea nutmeg
1/3 c oil (I used coconut- naturally) 
1 egg
1/3 c milk
1 tea vanilla extract
1/2 c sour cream or greek yogurt
1 1/2 c shredded carrots
Note on the carrots: I usually buy a big bag of whole carrots for other purposes and make muffins with the leftovers, so I send them through a food processor- the consistency can vary with this method, but done really fine the kids don't even notice the carrots!)

Glaze
4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
2 tbl butter, room temperature
2 tbl brown sugar
2 tbl maple syrup
1/2 tea vanilla extract

In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, & spices. In a separate bowl whisk together oil, egg, milk, vanilla, and sour cream. Stir into flour mixture just until evenly combined. Fold in shredded carrots. Spoon evenly into  muffin cups. Bake at 400 for 20 mins. Allow to cool 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
For the glaze: beat together cream cheese, butter, and brown sugar with a wooden spoon or beaters, until smooth. Beat in maple syrup and vanilla until well blended. Once muffins have cooled, dip the tops in the glaze, or spoon the glaze over. Store, covered in the fridge. To freeze: place on a baking sheet in the freezer until frozen, wrap individually in plastic wrap before placing in a large sealable plastic bag to store.

No comments: