Monday, October 28, 2013

Pinky & The Brain Smoothie


Before you start rolling your eyes, this has nothing to do with pink everything breast cancer awareness. We are already quite aware of it.
This recipe (one of the only ones I made up on my very own!) was inspired by the opening of a Jamba Juice near our house. JJ was a big part of my teenage/college experience, we got smoothies ALL. THE. TIME. Jamba has changed quite a bit since those days. They have kids' meals! (and sandwiches!) The kids meal comes with cheesy whole grain pretzels; It's amazing. The kids picked a smoothie with a beet component, and I really wanted to duplicate it, but only with what I had on hand. 

My kids are WILD about steamed beets. But the stem/stalk (the red part, before the leaf) is edible too! Instead of tossing them in the trash I threw them into the blender and it turned out nicely. I am SO PROUD, y'all. Stuff I would have thrown out- useable once more! Not to mention the vitamins! The brain food that magical beets posses. (notice the excellent first grade math skills in the background?) 


1 c. Pomegranate juice
1 banana
1 large gala apple, sliced
1/4 c. grapefruit juice
1 handful beet stalks
1 c. frozen strawberry/mango/pineapple blend

No comments: