Thursday, July 25, 2013

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins

I am completely stressing about the kids starting school and having to pack a nutritious lunch. I've decided that muffins are going to be a staple. (my kids have issues with sandwiches- most likely a plot to drive me insane) Prepare yourself for a lot of muffin recipes coming up in the next very spare weeks until school starts.

So this recipe! I have tweaked it a bit from the original which I found via random searches on Pinterest. Next time I make this I plan to add applesauce to help make the dough a little less rock hard, and easier to "fold" the blueberries into. With that said, these were some incredible muffins. I didn't miss the butter, (uses yogurt instead) and it was filling! (I used whole wheat flour, so the dough was plenty dense)



1 c. plain yogurt or low fat sour cream (I used plain Greek yogurt) 
1 c. old fashioned oats
1 egg slightly beaten (if the mix is too thick when adding blueberries, add another beaten egg)
1/4 c. coconut oil

1/3 c. flaxseed meal (optional) 
1/2 c. unsweetened applesause (again, if the mixture seems too stiff, especially w/ whole wheat flour)
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 1/3 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. frozen or fresh blueberries



Directions
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Place paper baking cups in 12 regular-size muffin cups, or grease bottoms only of muffin cups.
2. In large bowl, mix yogurt and oats. Stir in egg, oil, applesauce, and brown sugar. Stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt (batter will be lumpy). Gently stir in blueberries. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle with some additional brown sugar.
3. Bake 18 to 22 min or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan. Serve warm.

No comments: